Monday, September 15, 2008

Sand, rain and fire

This weekend started off with a bang. On Friday night Tom and I met up with one of his friends at a local pub. Somehow Tom and Simon got asked to judge a funny hat contest I found out I was to be the third judge. The people wearing the hats were a field hockey team celebrating their end of season. So we sat at our table and they walked past us while we judged them on their hat, presentation and attitude. Some of them put on quite a show. I may have a picture of them later in the week. But they may have forgotten. It was a riot though. :)

Saturday was the first really warm day that we've had since I got here. It was about 25 C. To beat the heat Tatjana, Wibke, Daniel and Philipp went to Bondi beach and Tom and I joined them. It turns out that another way to beat the heat is to take public transport, that was my first encounter with air conditioning. Once we got to the beach we realized that it might be a bit hard to find the others as it's pretty huge and crowded. As luck would have it during my phone call to Wibke a huge shark kite was raised and I mentioned it. It turned out they were right beside it. Who knew that massive shark sightings on a beach would be a good thing. ;)
The beach was very pretty but the water was almost as cold as it is in Newfoundland and there was quite a wind blowing. Not exactly the beach experience I had pictured in Australia, I'll have to go back when it's actually summer. :)

Sunday was a relaxing day, it rained for most of the day. In the evening Tom and I met his brother Max and his girlfriend Veronica at a pub near my house to meet up with some actors they want in one of their films. What Tom didn't tell me was that these actors were also putting on a play in the back of the pub. It was really good and totally hilarious. The most entertaining part was when one of them who was playing a demon /devil throws fire at an actress. It was a small ball of flame that went straight for her head... I still can't figure out how they did it. Totally cool. A bit of her hair caught on fire for a second. I'm pretty sure that wasn't supposed to happen. It was a very good surprise. :)


This is what the sky looked like after the last episode of pouring rain. It looked like the clouds had caught fire, but then there was a patch of blue sky with puffy white clouds. Very strange.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

omgosh it's beautiful!! i'm so jealous :P!!!
--Sara