Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Fish Market

Today was another beautiful sunny day in Sydney. After a bit of a rough start to the day I wound down with a lounge in our backyard with a neighbors cat and Sandy. The cat curled up on my lap and gave Sandy an evil look every time he came too close.

In the afternoon I met Tatjana, Wibke and Daniel across the bridge at the fish market. I could smell the fish as soon as I got off the bus and I still had to walk about a block to get there. The market is a huge blue building filled with fish stores and fish cafes, as well as a fruit market and cheese store in the back.

Tatjana got a baguette and drinks and Daniel got a huge platter of sea food and we sat on the docks and ate oysters, crab sticks, octopus, calamari, scallops, battered fish and chips. It was so good. :) Tatjana also supplied us with some music when we had finished so we could sit, listen to some tunes and watch the sun begin to go down.



Wibke tries some octopus.


It's right beside the harbour so of course we had to fight off the seagulls to get to a seat. Luckily some people further down started throwing food into the water so all the gulls surrounded them.





Daniel and Tatjana watch one of the feeding frenzies.

We also got a taste of some sea wild life. A pelican swooped down and grabbed a fish in the water right beside us.

This is a toad fish.. apparently they are the cockroaches of the sea. These were about 3 inches long and swam very very slowly. They amused us for a while.


I also had my first jellyfish sighting. They were pretty small but they jellied and it made my day. :)
I swear that's a jelly in the red circle

3 comments:

Chuck said...

No wonder they're running out of red circles over at photoshopdisasters.

Madeleine said...

I only stole one, just one... no one will ever know. ;)

Anonymous said...

I totally see the jellyfish!!! :O :D that's awesome lol those toad things really are hideous tho...and who feeds seagulls on purpose?? that's just weeeird...

--Sara