Friday, August 22, 2008

Crab Racing!!!

This week has turned into quite the eventful one. Wednesday night I went to the Friend in Hand bar to watch some crab racing with Tom and the Germans. It was maybe the strangest and funniest thing I've ever seen. Most of the boys had been to this the week before so they warned the rest of us about most of the events. They left out the part where the host sprays everyone with a water gun to start the night off. Then there was a blow a balloon till it bursts competition.
The first race had a bowl full of crabs... they were hermit crabs by the way. They were dumped onto round table and the first 5 to the black border made it to the next round and the people who paid for those crabs had to take part in a dough nut eating competition. The dough nuts were broken into pieces and covered in chocolate sauce and salt. The first person to finish without using their hands won a shirt. Tom, Niko and Tatjana made it to this round but they didn't win.

This is Tom, to his right is Tatjana and to his left is Niko.

The next competition was a hula hoop one. People stood on the crab table and hula hooped for as long as they could. This game came down to cheering for the people and as my group made up half the crowd who ever we cheered for won. Philip won and he was actually the best at it too.

The final round of crab races was the final 5 and the first three to the edge of the table got prizes, 1st was a t-shirt and 2nd and 3rd were orange visors. The crabs won in this order; Niko, Tom and Tatjana. So our group cleaned up. lol.



I loved that Tatjana and her boyfriend Daniel's crab ran towards them when it finished. They named it the Crabinator.

Another highlight of the night was the Bat Phone on the bar. :D

Last night... which would be my Friday, Niko had a house warming/ birthday party (his birthday is actually today). It took forever to get to Niko's because Tom and I got slightly lost, but I did find the smallest disco party ever.

I also finally saw a bat somewhat up close. I saw one fly by and land in a tree so I had to run over a watch it eat some leaves. I was excited I think Tom was laughing at me. I couldn't get a good picture though because it was too dark. :( When we finally got to Niko's the place was filled with Americans because two of Niko's roommates are American. It was strange for me to walk in and see the side of North American celebration that I don't like. They were so loud and ignored most of us that weren't part of their group. I also realized that I'm really getting used to hearing Aussie accents, I was finding the American accents really off putting to listen too. It's getting like that when I hear myself speak to... just a little though. So me and the Germans and our two Aussies hung out and watched the Americans play drinking games and waited for them to leave. And when they did we started up some ping pong games on the dining room table. We didn't have any paddles so we used our hands. It's so much harder and tons of fun.

Tomorrow is my day to visit the zoo. I'm very excited, there shall be many pictures I'm sure. :D

School's been really good this week. I had a meeting with one of my academic advisers to talk about what I plan on doing this semester. She completely got what I'm doing and re-inspired me to make some big wallpaper sized prints. I'd kind of pushed that idea away after I got here.
I also put some of my first glass work in the kiln. We did some tests of different materials sandwiched between glass so when it fuses together it will encase what ever is in it. I'm super excited to see how mine turn out. :)

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, so multiple things to comment on...
That picture of Tom PROVES NOTHING!!!
I really want to try out the crab race...reeaally.
It's...A BAT PHONE!!! HOW MANY TIMES DO YOU SEE A BAT PHONE?!?!
Dude, do you know how much I'd LOVE to be in that donut eating competition?
Oh, and Maddy? I'd be right there beside you watching that bat eat leaves :)

Sara said...

OMG BATPHONE!!! that's awesome lol