Friday, November 19, 2010

The Saga of The Last 30 Minutes

Remember how I was imagining what my reaction would be if I saw a big spider in a room with me. I was pretty much dead on with that prediction.
About 5:30 I'm innocently making banana muffins, the first batch has just finished. As I take them out of the oven it think, "I'm sure I saw a rack I can cool these on right down here". So I take a ladle to sweep the cob webs out of the way, reach down and pick up the cooling rack totally unaware of what  I had just awoken. I set up the rack and turn around to get the muffins off the stove and BAM! Right there a foot away is a spider crawling towards my muffin mix! Two things things cross mind... ok three but one's not very polite. One- Save the muffins and two- where's my camera. As I rushed around putting the mix on the other side of the room and finding my camera. The spider moved quite quickly across to where I had just been working. Almost taunting me, it crawls into a water jug, surely knowing that I would consider trying to put something on top so I can take it safely outside. If only the jug had an even top....


Since it's not moving I run and put on some shoes, thinking about the funnel web that's been known to run after people and is capable of piercing toenails with it's pincers. I know it's not a funnel web, but still. I start to call Tom.... many times. He's supposed to be home around now. I'm very much wishing he would just walk in the door and save me. At this point a fly landing on my arm makes my heart stop and I assume spiders are jumping out from every corner. Tom calls me back, I literally jump about a foot in the air. It's moving again. Towards a big leafy plant. Is it just me or are there thing crawling on my arms and legs?
As it creeps around the leaves I'm learning Tom won't be home for another half hour. I can't stop watching it, it's so big it moves the leaves as it walks over them. Tom's explaining where there might be some bug spray, while also asking questions like "is it hairy?" I find myself trying to explain the fine details of how it's legs are thin but not that thin. Stocky but not like a tarantula. As I get a little closer I'm really hoping it can't jump.  Tom: "How big is it? Like a 10 cent coin?",  Me: "No! I wouldn't be freaking out if it was only that big! I'd just squish it.  It's a little over 3 inches across, I can't squish something that big!"
The spider is now nestled between two leaves every so often bouncing on the bottom one. There is no way I can just walk into another room if it's still exploring, I must watch it!
I give in and go look for the spray. I spray it, and it runs down the plant and bee-lines for the cooling rack. Me: "Tom it's still alive, I sprayed it and it's still alive!" Tom: "Yah, the spray takes about five minutes to kill it" Me:"Ahhh it's moving again!"
It stops on the dish towel. That's where I leave it to die, so I can update facebook. I sneak around it and grab a warm consolation muffin.


I notice then that not only am I completely paranoid about every sound and movement in the room I am also completely covered in goosebumps. Go primal instincts. Tom's since come home and confirmed it was a huntsman. It's still there and still moving a little. Tom has congratulated me on killing my first Aussie spider. However, I'm now dreading meeting any bigger and faster ones. This summer I'm either going to be totally toughened up on spiders or become really really good at spotting them everywhere so I can keep an eye on them. The warm muffin did help though.

1 comment: