Monday, November 8, 2010

Off the Loom!

I've just completed the first half of my first beading work. Here it is in my usual work space. I maintain my dislike for the silver lined beads with all their sparkle and two different sizes. They've caused buckling in my nice smooth rows, but I did get my technique down.




 This is my nice new bead organizing tray. I've moved it over to the bottom of the box so I can now use the lid to prevent any spillage and disorganizing of beads.

The highlights at the top of the water are a very subtle shade of light blue. They show up much better when held up in front of something white. It's one of my favourite parts of the piece, so when I start my next one I'm going work in some nice subtle transitions.


 Once I finished this half I cut the threads two by two tying them off as I went.


 Another aspect that I've found interesting is the threads as I cut them.



I'm now in the process of threading the strings back into the beads to create a clean edge. I've left the strings closest to the center free so that when I finish the second half I can weave them together down the middle. Unfortunately I've managed to loose one needle and break my other, so I'm left only with some four inch ones that are a little tricky to use. Which means I'll have to order some more, slowing down my work.

Now that the work is off the loom I've been playing with it and both Tom and I were amazed at just how heavy it is. It moves nicely and is much stronger than it looks. 

Last week I decided that I've been missing a vital food from my diet. So I looked up a recipe, on Saturday I went to got supplies but couldn't find one vital one ingredient in the store. Not being able to eat my desired dish my brain must have been more upset than I realized, because that night I had a dream about me trying to make it in Parma's kitchen. So what was this amazing food that I had to bake on Sunday? Jamaican patties!!! Here they are pre- baked with their yummy curry pastry and egg wash.

Now all finished and golden, the patties are ready to be devoured. Hahahaha.

I served them up with tomato rice and veggies. 

To close, I've noticed that here in Australia they have an abundance of pink frosted doughnuts. Maybe because they don't have a Tim Hortons to offer an unending range, they always seem to be this specific bubblegum pink. It is also possible to buy them in the grocery stores. So tonight I thought, Since it's labeled so perfectly I'd better find out what they taste like. Very strange is the answer, the dough itself is much more substantial than a Tim Hortons doughnut and the icing is almost strawberry flavour. It was totally weird, I'm not sure if I liked yet.


No comments: