Sunday, November 28, 2010

A collection of thoughts from the last two weeks

These first three pictures demonstrate a little piece of design that I find totally brilliant. It a very minor component of a toothpaste tube but every time I encounter it I can't help but enjoy how it works.

When you open the cap the toothpaste is sealed with this bit of plastic. The little star shape fits perfectly into the top of the cap.

 All you need to do then is twist the cap and it snaps off the star seal.

Resulting in a clean break and the star seal stays in the cap completing it. It's totally weird that I love this as much as I do. But I like that some where along the line, a person sat down and figured out the best way to deal with the seal in an aesthetically pleasing way.


About a 5 minute walk from my apartment, towards the city is a park. It sits next to the harbour and two weeks ago as Tom and I were preparing to begin house sitting. We grabbed some coffees and croissants and headed over to enjoy the sun. There happened to be a bunch of kids playing touch rugby at the time and a few people had stopped to watch. In the distance, just on the other side of the water, it's possible to see the tower of SCA.


A little zoom in offers a better shot. This is SCA and the park that surrounds it.  


In another walking adventure last week Tom and I ventured out around Mort Bay in Balmain. Since Tom's been working on seawalls he's begun taking note of stone walls we see when we're out and about. When Tom spotted this one in Mort Bay his reaction was pretty funny and he immediately commented on how it hasn't lasted well. I suppose that you'd have to expect a seawall to change shape if it's made of sandstone though.


While I'm on the subject of walking around Balmain. This Saturday I had a few errands to take care of before we left for Drummoyne and just by luck we walked past a car I've been eyeing for some time. It seems that the last 4 or 5 times I've gone by this one I never have my camera or I'm in a car. So I've been plotting to come back and capture it. My plots are always forgotten, so when everything came together this weekend I was very pleased with myself.


This week I received a fabric order of tests swatches from Spoonflower. It also included my tea towel calendar design which I'll have to sew up and use. Now that I've gotten a print,  I can sell it on the site.



This is a pattern I made while playing around in a new program. I've ended up really liking it so I'll have to think of something to use it for.


My Wildlife Photographers ended up being quite a bit larger than I had anticipated. With only the badger fitting on the test square. So I've re-sized them and I'm expecting the new test early this week.  The badger looks quite good though if I do say so myself.


This one with the blue stripe is the one I entered in the contest. 

Last Thursday I had my first solo filming assignment. It was the annual fundraiser lunch for SAWA, which is an organization for the support and education for women in Afghanistan. It was held in one of the two local lawn bowling clubs and to get in I had to sign in and carry around this "guest card". It was a fairly fancy club so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.


The when I arrived at the lunch I was a little nervous. I wasn't sure exactly where the speaker would be standing, or where I be sitting. My main concern was sneaking from my table to the camera after each course. I needed the camera close enough to get a decent audio recording of the speaker and not block any of the other guests views. It ended up working out really well, I was sitting right near the front and I found a perfect spot to film. My contact for SAWA had arranged for me to work with one of the women in the group who is also a journalist. She conducted an interview with a guest who is a co-author of a study recently released, on womens rights in Afghanistan. It was quite interesting to listen to while I filmed it. During the lunch I sat with the interviewer and a friend of hers who is also a journalist who had just come back from a trip in Canada. It was really fun talking to them and I noticed that out of all the guests we were probably the youngest table. This episode goes to air on Dec 12th on TVS. And if anyone was interested in watching it, Coffee Break screens live on TVS's website TVS.org.au.  Each show runs three times in the week. If anyone in Ontario, Canada was interested in watching I'd recommend the viewing on Monday at 1pm Sydney time. Which translates into Sunday at 9pm for you. If you click here you can check out the Coffee Break page on TVS. To watch the channel live there is a big button at the very top right corner of the page that says "Watch tvs now",  I can mention on the blog when shows I've edited will be airing if anyone is interested in watching them.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let us know when one of your shows is coming up...! Muma