To take advantage of this we decided to walk to The Bay shopping center (a odd coincidence for those of us from Ottawa), it's a good 30-40min walk. Tom had an idea about a short cut through the woods. That took us here.
It was a dead end at an abandoned tree fort. It might have been pretty fun at one point.
It didn't exactly take us where we wanted and lead us through some very muddy lawns/ trails. But it was fun.
Another walking adventure took us around to the next bay.
We walked up a very huge steep hill into the woods to find the remains of a very old and tiny building.
I also spotted this mystery bird. I've got no idea what kind it is. But it has a pointy head.
More walks to get food brought me to this sign.
No "catastrophic" fires today.
This sign was on top of one of the huge hills that are all through the area surrounding Sydney. It offered a pretty great view... of which I have no pictures... oops
I do have some from the canoeing we did. It was Tom's first time, he's a natural except he likes to steer from the front while I'm trying to steer from the back. The canoe was very different from any I've been in before. It has deep seats with backs so you can sit very comfortably. Leaning back and paddling is a little awkward it meant we couldn't go very fast.
When we were bringing the canoe back up to the house the neighbour (Bob) happened to be out on his deck with a friend. Both started talking to us about how they never see anyone at our house which for the last two weeks has been occupied. The friend asked where I was from, when I told him Canada he informed me his parents lived in Winnie-peg for a number of years. He was a pretty laid back un-excitable character, and could barely crack a smile.
Our other boating adventure was jigging in a row boat. In total we caught 6 fish, 3 each. Five out of them were bream (pronounced here as brim) like this little guy.
We used little frozen shrimp as bait.
The second fish I caught was a flounder, who as soon as I got it up into the boat freed itself from the hook. Tom pinned him down while I got a bucket for it.
The sun as we/ Tom rowed back.
Some of the local residents.
Flounder with garlic and butter.. Yum!
A little make-shift ping-pong to end the visit.
Tom's dad came for the last night and drove us back through the hills, they could almost qualify as mountains. There were some amazing farms right in between the large hills that looked right out of a movie. Really beautiful views. We also stopped at a drive-thru liquor store... hmm.
No comments:
Post a Comment