Saturday, June 27, 2009

In the Navy

This morning Tom and I went for one last visit to the market.




We bought some strawberries and decided to test them while we enjoyed the sun on the harbour.


The HMCS Halifax was docked and they were letting people explore the top deck and the control room. After the bag check and for us also the eyeing of the fresh strawberries, we walked up some very see through stairs and were greeted by a salute from the sailors. Very cool.

The anchor.
The man with the big gun that told me not to step over the anchor chain when I was just taking a picture. I didn't argue. But it did cross my mind that it was totally weird that he looked so causal chatting with a visitor and holding a gun.


More weapons.

The worlds best binoculars. We were looking at things so far away we had no idea where they actually were. Tom was watching someone talking. They tinted everything a sort of purple colour.


The control room.

Note the red Batman phone.

The captain has his own.


One of the sailors was laughing at me when I wanted to take a picture of all the flags.. then she laughed again when I realized this was just one of two shelves.

I haven't quite figured out the purpose of these guys... life jacket instructions?





This is where helicopters land.. but when docked it doubles as an outdoor party room. There was a tent over it and speakers in every corner.



They figure that after tiptoeing your way around all the see through stairs on the ship you're ready to walk back to shore on a thin plank with ropes... don't worry there's netting to catch you if you fall.

After pretending we joined the Navy we decided to walk down toward Pier 21. Some electrical guys were doing some major work on some power lines. I've never realized how loud electricity was before. Not a job for me.


The wall of Mordor that looms behind the tourist attractions.

I was a bit ammused at the markings in the gravel and a little tempted to mess them up.. I didn't I promise.

Tonight, packing. Tomorrow, packing.

No comments: