Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Holiday House

Well I returned successfully from the holiday house. It was really lovely, very quite, very rainy, and very much on a very populated street. Totally not what I'm used to as I always picture cottages as very remote. But I guess that's why they call it holiday house. Tom's grandfather built it back I think in the 60's. And it looks exactly the same. It's on the largest salt water lake in Australia which is in the town of Morriset. Which is 61km from Toronto and on the way we passed Niagara Park. So much Canada. :)

This is the train. It was pretty fun.

OK So upon arrival we hunted down the only place open and still serving food at 10pm... besides the pub. The main street is all of about 5 blocks and is right in front of the train station. So getting around is really easy. We rustled up some Dominos pizza and grabbed one of the two cabs to the house. (We learned later that they'll have two more on the roads soon cause it's such a busy town). The house has a large drive way beside it that used to lead to a jetty. It occurred to me while we walk down the drive way to the back yard that it might be a little dangerous walking around in the dark as I've never been there before. It was just after that thought that Tom stopped me from walking off a three foot drop into the yard. So I stayed firmly in one place until he had turned on the power and a few lights. We were pretty tired after the journey so we watched some t.v. on the new tube and part of a mummy movie from the 80's on the old one. Here's some picture from our last day of what I encountered.

The back of the house. Just behind the boats is a bed room that is more like the cottages we have. Same smell and not at fancy. There's also a second shower and toilet and the laundry room just beside that .
Stairs to the main floor.

This is to the left when you walk up the stairs.

The living room.

Back towards the stairs. They are just behind the kitchen. straight through the arch are two bedroom doors. One's covered by the built in baby door for the stairs. To the left is the bathroom door.

The back yard.

These next pictures are some of my favourite features of the house.

The two showers only came up to my shoulders. It was a bit of a feat to wash hair, but who can complain when the base is such a fantastic colour.

And it had a matching sink.

We were able to hook up the VCR into this T.V. but it wasn't until the second night when we finished off the mummy movie that it occurred to me that it had Telecolour written on it and it wasn't a black and white t.v. as we had thought. So with a bit of tweaking we were able to watch the rest of our movie as it was meant to be watched.

I'm in love with this chandelier.

There used to be a built in radio on the left side.

On day two we went for a walk by the lake.

I could make out another zero.. but I'm pretty sure it must really be $200.

These grow right beside the driveway. I couldn't believe it wen Tom told me they were weeds. Then we got the the end of the drive where the plant, which is a vine, had started to strangle all the trees and bushes. It was so pretty though.

Then we decided to go to the Mega Market. I had seen a sign for in when we got off the train and the name was so funny I decided we had to go. During the cab ride into town we learned that when the mega market opened it had on all it's signs that it was a short walk from the train station. As it turned out it's more of a half hour walk and Mega Market got in loads of trouble because people who had grabbed the kids and started the trek had started and half way there they'd get dehydrated and faint in the heat. Anyways, it was a lot like the market in China town. Lots of stalls. We had some ice cream, walked around a bit, and played some air hockey in the arcade. The score keeper was broken and halfway through our game a little boy came over a informed us of this, he then proceeded to keep the score for us only he didn't realize that we had been playing before he arrived, so Tom went from leading by seven to a 1 all tie. He beat me anyways.. I need to brush up on my air hockey.

The street in front of the house. We sat in an old bus shelter as we waited for the cab.

The main entrance to the Mega Market.

My ice cream is the one on the left.


It started to rain as we left the market so we cabbed back to Morrisset to get some food supplies. I picked up some paints at the dollar store so Tom would challenge me to paint various objects around the house.

This is an Australian stubby. It's soo little.

Day three was pretty lazy. We tried to take the tinny (motor boat) out for a spin despite the wind. It was wet.

Before we left. Note the inviting waves.

Tom taking a quick break before pulling the boat up. I sat at the front of the boat so I got to break the waves before they got to him.... at least the water was warm.


Later we went for a walk in the other direction around a small part of the lake. But as most of our clothes were still drying and it was cold, we had to dig around the house to find some warmer gear. I had to do with my pair of bright green p.j. pants and put an orange, green and blue plaid flannel over my t-shirt. Tom found a sweater vest and a cardigan... we made for a very stylish pair I'm sure. Especially since I had to hold my pants up a bit because they're too long for me.

The green vest really compliments the orange-pink t-shirt.

When we got back we drained, smashed and ate a coconut we had bought earlier. It was most excellent. :) The rest of the night we played trivial pursuit and had the best sausages ever for dinner. mmm.

Monday mid-day was spent cleaning and me taking pictures. Then it was off to catch the train.

Tuesday was the grad show opening. It went really well. The art work was great and I was really impressed with the number of people that came. It was packed. I'll go back this Friday to get some pictures of more work.

This week I'm going to be sorting out shipping arrangement for some of my stuff and finalize my plans for my visit to Cairns.

4 comments:

Chuck said...

That t-shirt isn't orange-pink...it's "salmon". That's a tough fish! Grrrrrr......SALMON!!!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! This is true.

Unknown said...

Hehehe....
By the way, Chuck said that he thought that chandelier was...interesting

Might I say I strongly disagreed with him...

It's beautifully ridiculous looking chandelier with a Deco twist...

Beauty.

Anonymous said...

hehehe. :)