Sunday, July 3, 2011

All Things Red

A week or so ago Tom and I were grocery shopping. As I walked past the candy section one bag caught my eye. It was a new candy that I'd never seen before. And it's looked hilarious.
It's only now that I notice the pink pig face looks like it's melting into a puddle of pig.

After reading the back I learned there were three power pigs and they have such appetizing names as; Gristle or Chopper. The candies themselves were huge, almost 2 inches in diameter and very very chewy.

I found out very quickly that appearance standards for power pigs is pretty low. To find the three decent looking ones above I had to go through the whole bag. The other ones looked like this. One has a pig tail on it's face and when I look at the lower right one and realize it's a "Gristle" and it completely grosses me out. Needless to say Tom and I took our time finishing the candy (no one else in the house wanted any more).

In better food news mum and I made jam. It was my first time and I was pretty surprised at how simple jam can be. In this case, strawberries, lemon and sugar.

The simmering begins.

Mum and I decided to play with some flavour combos. One was infusing some of it with rosemary and the other with cracked black pepper and balsamic vinegar. mmm...

There was a lot of waiting for water to evaporate.

And stirring.

And labeling. 
Here are the delicious results.

I really wanted to try making a clear jelly. Here you can see just how much clearer and lighter it is than the full  far of jam.

As some of you may have heard this Friday was Canada Day. Tom has been here for one before, but we didn't go to parliament, so this time we did. I really wanted to see the musical ride... which was to my great diappointment cancelled this year. It was hugely crowded, after about and hour we heard an announcer say that they estimated there were 300,000 people at the hill (I read last night in some British media a suddenly bigger number of 500,000).  Pretty crazy. There were a fair few big screens set up that were very clear, though this picture would have you believe otherwise.

It was pretty slow going if you wanted to get anywhere, I figured out that if you find a stroller leaving and follow it you can take advantage of the parting crowd.

Tom and I decided to walk towards the Rideau center only to find that the road had be partly blocked so those important people on stage could leave after the noon show. Ironically because no one knew about the blockade and as far as I know it's never been done before everyone kept walking into it so there was a huge jam up of people and more drifting towards us unaware they had hit a dead end. A lot of these people would then slowly squeeze through the crowd at the only point that went around the blockade which was also very narrow and very crowed.

We chose a wider detour.

My first royal sighting. 


Tom poses with a Mountie.

Tom and I decided to go early, but just as we walked away I heard Sam Roberts start playing (the only band I wanted to see) so we turned back and hung out a little longer. Which enabled me to get this photo.

And one of the security. Look to the top left... on the roof. 
 
Nice.

This week I'm doing a small art workshop with a couple kids of family friends. I'm looking forward to doing art for the first time in a while. We'll see how it goes. :)

No comments: