While we meandered around I spotted a shop that sold macarons and since I've recently decided that I will be attempting to make some when I get to Canada (mum this is your warning) I thought I should have a little comparison taste. I reasoned it to Tom that I've only ever tasted amazing macarons, I should at least see what not so amazing ones are like so I know. Just to make it extra comparisony I'm re-posting the photos of the Zumbo ones just so you can see.
Here are today's, I give them full marks for colour. From left to right: Pistachio, Salted Caramel and Chocolate.
Zumbo's. I chose salted caramel to be the flavour comparison. Looking at the photos now, it's interesting to see that the colours for the salted caramel have been placed oppositely.
I noticed the caramel had decorative flecks the same colour as my nail polish. Not sure if that should count as bonus points though. The flavour was ok but very subtle compared to Zumbo's. hmmm...
This is Zumbo's and it had about twice as much ganache as today's choice. Have a good look at how this macaron handled me biting it.
Now check the chocolate one out. Tom shared these with me as a second opinion was needed. We both agreed that this bakery's shell tasted and had a very similar texture to pavlova.
While these ones weren't bad I definitely preferred the Zumbo ones. They were more moist and full of flavour. Now I just need to be able to get those qualities into my future batches.
As a final note, when I pulled the chocolate one out I found one last feature that I'm sure I'll have fun figuring out in my baking. How to make sure each half is the same size.





No comments:
Post a Comment