Friday, May 20, 2011

The Pyrmont Art Prize

As I mention a couple posts ago, last week was moving week. This included such discoveries as this. The dent from the couch which squished our already dense carpet into what looked like a solid plastic circle. hmm.


To celebrate so editing accomplishments of Jan's, Tom and I picked up some macarons from eh local gourmet bakery. They were so amazing. Tom picked out matching ones for him and Jan which are the pink and purple ones. The purple was coconut and brown rice pudding and the pink lychee bubble tea.


I had salted caramel butter.  It was so good and very rich for such a small treat.

And mint and chestnut.  This one was very subtly flavoured, the mint came more in the after taste.  Again totally delicious and now I'm very tempted to try making these when I get back to Canada.


On the way to the bakery I found this waiting across the street. Right as I was about to take another picture the owner came back. Darn.


A good example of the front gardens that look like little tropical forests. 

When we got to Pyrmont I was surprised to find out it was so big. There were about 50 different wine sellers with over 120 wines. As part of the festival you could pay to take part in a wine tasting. I decided to try out some food instead. 

Yum yum yum, a light cake with some pear and yogurt. 

 The art was displayed outside. There was a judges award and peoples choice.

Hey I recognize one of those! There was quite a range of styles and media. Some I liked quite a bit some not so much. I did like that for the most part all of the pieces go together because of the uniform size. Also when Tom and I found it I saw someone taking a photo of it. It was nice to see that someone enjoyed it.

The painting second from the left on the top row is Jan's. She's been working on a series of landscapes to inspire her while she's on her exercise bike. This on is the Nullabor Plain in the desert.  Just a note, here everyone pronounces it like "nullable". It makes spelling things that much harder.

Recently I discovered some more things to play with in my photo editor. So here are the results and a few things I found as Tom and I walked through the city. 


Tom and I pondered this building for a bit and come to the conclusion that the tiles were removed on purpose rather than fell down on their own. 

These lions were awesome and huge the tops of their heads were about up to my waist, maybe a little higher.

This is TAFE community college. After taking photos and commenting on how much I love this building, Tom and I continued walking past and overheard a Dad and his 20 something son.
Dad "This is a nice building"
Son: "Actually it's pretty old and ugly"
To that I say HARUMPH!

No comments: