Sunday, October 31, 2010

Sunshine and Warrior Owls

This weekend Tom and decided it was time to go to a movie. We settled on Legend of the Guardians, which I forgot until we re-watched the trailer is an Aussie movie. Tom found all the accents really strange, he thought they all sounded like they were from the countryside.  It's based on a series of books about owls that have a society with writing and legends, they are black smiths, warriors, and some must be masons and textile weavers because there were ancient looking ruins and cloth banners everywhere. We saw it in 3D at Imax, I discovered that the Sydney Imax theater has the worlds largest screen... it was pretty big. The build it's self it pretty space aged looking.

Both Tom and I really enjoyed the movie. The graphics were totally incredible and this was the first time I'd ever seen 3D that worked. Before the movie starts Imax has a little 3D promo for how clear their images look etc.. it's basically a bunch of rings and words that rotate and zoom out towards you. It was amazing. I wanted to duck when the words came towards me and my brain kept telling me I should be able to touch them. As for the movie there were a few moments like that and it was a very fun story. Both of us at the end found that the idea of owls as blacksmith was a little hard to swallow. I know every time the owls flew into battle with their "battle claws" and tiny swords I giggled to myself. They were pretty cute little warriors. All the same I highly recommend it.

Pre-movie we walked around Darling Harbour taking in all the buskers that have started to appear. Simone I know it going through your head... I am wearing shorts in this picture.


On our way to the city as we were waiting at the light we saw a big pick up drive by with massive antennas.  I wasn't able to get to my camera when it was right in front of use buy you get an idea of the size of it's decoration.

Here's one of the buskers.

Today was the sailing regatta at the Balmain Sailing Club. It was neat to see how it all works, my favourite boat is the one in the middle that's Junk style.  

The Marina. 

The course went around this island.

Then around Cockatoo Island. 

And then around this one. 

Now that I've got a hand mixer, I'm going to try my pavlova recipe again. This time I should be able pile the meringue into more of a cake shape. mmmm.... A side note. I went to get some raspberries to top the pavlova, a small container costs $15! Strawberries and blue berries it is.

No comments: