Sunday, April 17, 2011

Royal Easter Show: Part 2

It time for PIGS! While we were in the pig area Tom made a terrible joke about the police having a booth in the pavilion. When I was going over my photos,  I noticed a person in the crowd holding a show bag with COP on it. How appropriate.
So what we're watching here is a judge looking over one of the contestants. The pigs basically just wandered around smelling things while the judges ran around after them with a crop that was used to push the pig away from the exit or other pigs in pens.

The lady here is holding a plastic board that is used to block the pigs so they can't wiggle through as easily. 

Le goats. The baby goats weren't out to play so I didn't get to hold one. But this one made me smile.

Next door was the poultry and pigeon pavilion. It had this amazing sculpture outside of it. Nice touch with the eggs.  

Inside it was a little over whelming. There were a lot of birds in cages. Some of them looked not so happy. Tom wasn't a big fan. Most of them were probably the most beautifully feathered birds I have ever seen. I was also rather fascinated by the ones that would poke their heads out and check out everything that was going on. 


Here's a little sample of the sound that greeted you once you entered the pavilion.


I loved the pattern of the feathers on this one. 

Just above this roaster was checking out the film shoot. 

Possible love story forming?

Clean fluffy pigeons. These guys all looked totally relaxed and were much quieter than the other competitors.

A table full of eggs greeted us as we came out of the pigeon area. There was a surprising range of colours. Like these greenish ones.

Next in line is the hatching incubator. They were surrounded by little kids and I had to use my height to get a clear shot. Which means the chicks all look a bit dead. But I swear they were all wiggling around and chirping.


Slightly older chicks are in another warmed box also surrounded by kids. I managed a quick shot between children as I walked by.  Fluffballs.

This is probably my favourite rooster of the bunch. It was very busy fixing up it's bedding and swooshing its billowy tail.

We headed back to the Sheep shed for a shearing demonstration. There were a group of rams and a tiny 8 day old lamb out for people to touch.

This is the other kelpie. Note it's position on a hay bale. His name is Coop. I'm totally in love with this breed.

The demo begins, the sheep to be sheered are "hypnotized" aka propped up so they won't move.

Little Coop was so excited by the sheep that he jumped over the gates. But his chain was too short. So it was adjusted and no sooner was he untangled then he decided to go back to his hay bale. This time he opted to climb through the gates. With amazing agility I might add.

This is just to point out how big the old style clippers are. Massive.

The little baby gets some cuddles. It totally loved being held too.

Green Alpacas are all the rage in Sydney.

We had an hour to kill before the pig obedience challenge started. Just enough time for hot chocolate and a walk around the park.

The food stalls had some pretty bizarre characters. Like this banana man which came complete with a pre-recorded voice and various whistles.

Here we have an American style hot dog man giving himself a Jerry curl. It definitely did not make me want a hot dog.(Photo by Tom)

There was also a fair ground with a good number of rides and flashing lights.

Here a slide is swept dry. I watched carefully to see how the people at the top got down all the levels. I was hoping they'd slide.. but no. They carefully shuffled down along the side.

After walking through part of the rides section it started to rain again so we ran back into a stadium and found some cattle herding going on. It was a really neat show and as I found out also a singularly Aussie style of herding cattle. I made a video of one of the riders who had to herd a cow around some "cones" and does so at quite a speed.


It was enjoyed by all.
Unfortunately I found out two thing about the pig obedience challenge.
1. It was not trained pigs.
2. It was an hour delayed.
I was pretty exhausted and decided I was fine with missing this event, ironically the one reason why I had to go on that particular day. Oh well. We made our way back to the super spiffy train station and I did my hardest not to fall asleep on the way back to the city.

One last thing to explain that was totally new to me. Show bags. They were everywhere and everyone wanted one. Basically they are themed goody bags that range from 5 dollars to 30 dollars. You get a deal in each one and I saw some kids that had whole costumes in theirs. The COP one at the pig show was probably a costume one. I didn't really have any desire to get one until Tom and I spotted someone carrying a warhead themed one. Which meant Tom and I had to search the many show bag stands till we found the one that sold the warheads. yum yum yum.

Success!

No comments: