Monday, July 28, 2008

Week 1

Ok, so a number of developments have been made this week.
First I have established that the orientation days at main campus were a complete waste of time except that I met some German exchange students and got some very sketchy free "BBQ" food. I've gone dancing once at a club called La Cita which was very fun and I met some Mexicans there.

I visited the inside of the studios at school which are quite nice, the buildings are definitely castle mixed with mental hospital. I'm told that it's possible to visit the "dungeons", so I will be checking that out for sure. :)

A couple of nights ago I watched the Rugby Union game between Australia and New Zealand at a pub. It was fantastic. I sort of understand the rules. And Australia won!!!

As of this weekend I've found a place to live and I'm in the process of figuring out moving in etc. I get the impression that it's in a really trendy place of the city.. I'm basing this on other people's reactions as I have no clue. I can't even remember the name of the street at this point. lol.

Today was the official first day of classes and I went in to sort out my courses. So I am now enrolled in two theory classes (I don't really know what they entail... I think they're like art history), my studio is Printmedia and my elective is Glass (I think i get to try both blowing and molds but I don't really know). I'm pretty excited and a little nervous. I wondered around the a bit trying to remember where everything is. There's lots of court yards, which I keep forgetting about and then I walk through the wrong door.

There was a storm yesterday that lasted about 30 minutes. It was fairly intense and for the last bit of it I was surprised to discover that while it had stopped raining in the backyard, it was pouring rain in the front. Apparently strange things like that happen all the time. Weird... but very cool. lol.



Back yard view with the Sydney bridge.

Front yard was pouring rain in the sun.

mmm.. That's all I can remember at the moment. I'm sure I've done more, but it was raining and only about 10 degrees most of the week so it hasn't been tourist friendly. Oh wait.. that reminds me. Today at the school cafe we were in the middle of the lawn wrapped up in coats and scarves, the umbrella over us was struggling to stay up-right in the wind and yet more people kept coming to drink their coffees outside. They just keep acting like it's summer. I wanted to go in.. but everyone thinks I'm used to the cold. So I toughed it out. :P

Alright that's it for now. Fingers crossed the weather will clear up and I take a day a go to the aquarium and/or zoo. lol.

** I did remember something else while I was setting up the blog. On Saturday I went to the Orange Grove Market for some breakfast (it was a honey and port cured bacon and egg roll.. very very good). What was neat were the rides set up for the kids. There was a bouncy castle and pony rides. I also learned that Uggs maybe aren't as bad as I thought. Here there isn't just one brand, so they don't all cost $400. And they are used as slippers.. not out door wear. I'm seriously considering getting a pair. They'd be very handy for this winter weather.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmmmm - making bacon on the beach.....its hard to believe that you can call that winter weather although we did hear that Sydney had snow or hail the other day.

Madeleine said...

Yah it was funny watching kids pulling boogie board around in the snow. it worked though.

Bhavana said...

Ooo... glass making class! so jealous. oh this is jess by the way. love you maddy!

Unknown said...

That is an intense picture of "Back yard view with Sydney Bridge"...I like it.

Madeleine said...

yah, it was pretty wild. I thought I'd also mention.. .Jess. Both me and Simone have also discovered Catherine Tate and we aren't bovvered. lol

Unknown said...

...are you disrespectin' me.

Unknown said...

Are you makin fun of my muvver?