Well I made it to Sydney in one piece. I flew from Ottawa to Vancouver and then from there to Australia. The flight was over 15 hours long and I was going a little bit stir crazy by the end of it.
It turn out that I got here on World Youth Day, so everywhere that I've been downtown so far was packed with people here to see the Pope. They all that matching back packs and dog-tag-like pouches around their necks that have their names and where they're from. It's a little strange.
The weather's like early spring or fall. It's not really cold but chilly enough that a sweater (or jumper) is required.
So because I basically had a nights rest on the plane I was pretty awake upon arrival and actually did a bit of sight seeing/ following Josh around and meeting some of his friends.
First we met two of his friends and went downtown. It was pretty empty, apparently everyone's hiding from the pilgrims (people here for the pope). Then we had a bit of food and beers at a bar/ cafe beside the opera house (It apparently totally fine to start drinking at 12). The harbour is HUGE compared to Halifax's and is seems to go on for ever. I didn't take too many pictures of it. But there will be some.
After we finished Josh and I went to the MCA (Museum of Modern Art), it was pretty neat. Im' a bit jealous that it's totally free here. It turns out that most of the collection is on Cockatoo Island.. so that will be a future adventure.
Then we took a ferry to the suburb Balmain ( they have a million suburbs and I'm very confused by all of it) grabbed some lunch and meet Josh's sister, parents and a friend for more drinks. We left around dinner, and proceed to another friends to continue with the drinks and have some more food. This turned into going to a bar and then another persons house. I did a lot more drinking than I thought I would on my first day. But I did get to sleep in a real bed for the first time in weeks and that was fantastic.
Today Josh took me to see the campus that I'll be at. It's about 5 minutes from his parents house... mostly up hill. There's more hills here then in Halifax, I was totally not expecting that. The campus is absolutely beautiful. The buildings are in an enormous park that goes right down to the water. I was really impressed by the trees and the birds. I saw a cockatoo and a kookaburra! There are also some really colorful birds which I don't have any good pictures of yet I think they're called lorakeets (that could be spelled wrong). oh yah and the crows here sounds like sheep or goats bleating, I'll have to record it cause it's hilarious. That along with the sounds of the other birds made the park feel very tropical foresty. OH! and I saw my first spider.. which I suppose was big by our standards.. but I surprisingly wasn't freaked out. It just wasn't big enough. lol. ok so that's it for now.
check out the photos (there are too many to fit on this post) http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=23358&l=12fd7&id=510719649 :)
2 comments:
yaaa the whole pope party does sound really creepy :P i would hide in a bar too lol...um i looove their drinking habits by the way :D um question, why does MCA stand for the Museum of Modern Art? where did the C go...? lol oh and Cockatoo island -- best island name ever lmao!!! :D i'm glad it sounds awesome so far sweetie!!! :D update like all the time!!! I need to live vicariously thru you while i'm in school :( not in australia lol ttyls I miss you !!!!! *hug*
Um.. i think it's the Museum of Contemporary art. :P Well it sounds like I might be having some adventures this weekend... I'll make sure to put something up. :)
Post a Comment