Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Our Neighbourhood Elephantidae

Well Ottawa certainly doesn't look like this anymore. We've had spring arrive about 3 weeks earlier than normal. However, for this last weekend with snow Tom and I walked down the street to the Natural History Museum. Where we ran into our local mammoths.

I remember when I was first able to climb and sit on the baby one (not pictured) now I'm twice it's size. Time to start practicing on the bigger ones.

Last time we were here there was not a whale hanging out in the glass room. Now there is.

And it has a great smile.

We actually went specifically for a whale exhibit that was visiting. And we ended up seeing a lot of artifacts and images from New Zealand. No pictures allowed though.
When we finished with the special exhibit I took Tom to the other rooms we had missed the first time round. This included the bird room. Here are some example of the Canadian colour spectrum in Birds.

Orange.

Yellow.

Winter and summer.

And hiding. 
I'd say most of our birds are this colour. Though I am skipping over the obvious blue jays and red cardinals.
 

This is a size difference I was not aware of. Ravens are a lot bigger than crows.

A highly choreographed family of falcons.

And some pretty feather patterns.

We had our mandatory dinosaur room visit. I used to have a toy version of this dino named Jawbreaker. Because it's jaw was half torn off. 
I was a very creative child.

I have brown hair now.

Tom's hair is still brown.

After looking at this one Tom said it reminded him of chicken and he wanted to eat it. He was probably also planning out a giant version of a squirrel trap for it.

A few days later and the city looks like it's already spring. I found this mural above the now closed computer shop that I really needed to be open.

The last piece of the living room arrived! My blueish- teal ottoman completes it. I spent a good chunk of the evening looking at it and putting cups on the tray. Then taking the off again. Turning it a little. Generally loving it. :)

No comments: