Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Birthday weekend

Last Wednesday Tom and I met at the bus station in the middle of pouring rain. After the new mandatory security check we were off to Kingston. Once we were out of Ottawa we got an amazing look at the size of the cloud that try to drench us.

As we got closer to Kingston the weather completely changed. But the cloud was still huge.

One of the main reasons for our visit was to meet my dad's cousin Kathleen visiting from Manchester.
Day one we went to a BBQ at which I completely forgot to get photos of everyone. Doh! Though we do have many pictures of the dog. We went out for dinner with my cousin which allowed me to take Tom around the downtown street before we met up. Here's a nice example of the buildings.

Day two/ my birthday we took Tom and Kathleen for a walk around Wolfe Island. The ferry ended up delayed and while we were waiting this car drove up to talk to some of the men that were building a garden seating area.

It drew a pretty instant crowd as soon as he lifted the hood to show off the motor. The "Be Safe" on the backs of their shirts made me laugh.

On the ferry! I love this sign, and almost want it on a t-shirt.

Tom and I were sharing one pair of sunnies since I left mine in Ottawa. It was very necessary on the very white boat.

Our arrival at the island. The wind turbines looked so big as we got closer.

Tom, Grant, Kathleen and I walked up towards the farms and turbines in search of an information sign. Which we did not find. I did catch a frog however. Reliving a bit of my childhood.

We investigated an old barn that is now a boat repair place. 

Just a little reminder of how tiny Wolfe Island is. Look one way...

Then the other... hard to tell here, but I could see the water from this point.

Some local flora. I love these lady slippers and have seen many many photos of them. But never realized how tiny they were.


Another old blue vehicle.

One our way back to meet Grandma and Janet Kathleen spotted a birds nest. I've never seen one where the babies are so visible. Very cute.

Here's a test of my camera's zoom function.

While we waited for the next ferry we had lunch. I've been to this restaurant before and always remember the fantastic roof over the deck.

The view was perfect for watching for the ferry since it the dock was right next to us.

Me picking my bison burger! It was very yummy. I had a really fun visit and loved that my birthday was on such a sunny day. Thanks for a great time Grandma.

No comments: