Monday, September 6, 2010

Museums Galore

Ok, I found my camera cord. 

First from way back, my birthday dinner. It was a pretty dimly lit room so I gave up taking pictures pretty quick. But I did want to show the fantastic dishes they had at the Japanese restaurant. It was very yummy food, though one of the dishes (my main course) never showed up and I found out when I asked about it that they had run out of one of the ingredients. Thanks for letting me know guys. I ordered another and we stuck around for desert (which was amazing), but I wasn't too impressed with the waitress's hosting abilities.


That Sunday, one of Tom's friends invited us over for a BBQ, which turned out to be a luau. They filled a big pot up with veggies and lamb, then dug a hole. To get coals they built a fire pit above ground.

It was a really nice day already and with the fire the backyard became super hot. Once the coals were ready they were put under and over the pot in the ground and left for about 4 and a half hours.

Then they checked to see if everything was cooked by digging it up again. The ground was so hot it was you could see steam coming up.

Everything looked pretty juicy so it was time to set the table.

It was really fun, and for those of you that were wondering about the lamb, Tom said it was pretty good.


Another week passes and this time Tom and I are out exploring the city. I tracked down this over grown ugg boot retreating into a shopping center.

It happened to be voting weekend so Tom and I went to Glebe so Tom could vote. On our way we passed this house and it's family of gnomes.

One of my favourite parts about this house was how it didn't really have much other decoration, just a bunch of gnomes.

After the trip to Glebe we took the light rail into the city and went to the Art Gallery of New South Wales. I found it really neat to see how similar the history of Canadian and Aussie art were, but the look and subject matter of the Aussie art is very different. Way more sand.


Some more Sydney architecture from our trip home.



Ok this brings us to last weekend. I had just found out about the Museum of Australia. So we HAD to go there.
It's sort of a mix of the museum of civilization and the museum of nature. It had a few live exhibits such as a tank full of anemones, crabs and other sea creatures.  Like this one.


A sea dragon.

These shells were probably my favourite because of their pattern. Then I found out that they belong to a very very deadly creature I learned about right before I left Canada. It's a sea snail that sticks out it's tongue and when something brushes by it, it harpoons the animal with it's tongue and paralyzes it with venom. The venom is strong enough to killed a human. So I won't be picking any of those shells up.

This is a miso-roo. I don't remember it's actual name, but it does remind me of a certain little squishy faced kitty. Look at it's little frown too.

The name plate of this animal was Demon Duck of Doom.

No joke, it really was.

This was the largest marsupial ever to roam Australia. The model had a "little" baby in it's pouch that looked about the size of a calf. So why it couldn't just walk around is a mystery to me.

This fierce looking creature, yah, it was a marsupial too. So what I learned is that they are totally crazy about pockets over here.

This inside of the museum had a really great floor, in looks it is very Museum of Nature-esque.

This is how Australians imagine cane toads. The bad attitude, chronic drinkers of the animal kingdom.

This is the tallest dinosaur I've ever seen. It was really really cool.


In reference to a previous blog. I thought a bird was a pink cockatoo. Well I found the bird again and this time it has a name tag behind it. It's a galah.

This is a pink cockatoo. Note the cockatoo-like head feathers. 

These are just some pidgeons, don't mind them they're nothing special. Oh wait, yes they are! They're not gray!

On to the next live exhibit. A small huntsman spider. From what I've been told this looked some what small, as in not fully grown. It was only 2 or 3 inches in this position. Just big enough to be creepy.


There were quite a lot of taxidermy animals in a kids room that everyone could touch. It was pretty full of families and definitely a big hit. There was a tortoise shell that one kid dove under and curled up in. Not including ears, I am the same height as a kangaroo.

Do you know where we are right now?
I would like to note that the rest of this map was completely untouched.

Finally there was a mineral exhibit. This one I found particularly amazing. The image below, looked as if it was on the surface of the rock until you looked at it from the side and saw the paper under it.

OK so now I'm almost caught up. But I think this is a long enough post. Though I suppose I should mention that it's getting nice and warm here, as we are officially now in spring.

No comments: