It is time for some more photos. I don't really have any of the apartment, mainly because we're still moving things around and getting it just right. I do how ever have some more pictures from the past two weeks, such as this yummy lemon meringue tart Tom and I shared at a huge mall.
I needed a bunch of things including some table legs from IKEA. So we took the train to Rhodes, which is a very strange suburb. The road from the station to the mall is lined with huge modern apartments that are all in a variation of trendy grey. There were no stores on the way, instead everything you could ever need or want including IKEA, the cinemas, groceries, dollar stores, electronics… etc. was in this one massive building. We also found some beef and onion pies for lunch. They weren't bad.
For this week was the opening of Aurah and her friends art show. Thursday and Friday were spent in Balmain setting up the show. I have a few shots of the building pre-installation but the lighting is not the best (Chuck I'm sure you can understand).
The exhibition is taking place in the Balmain Watch house. This building was formally the local lock up. Usually used as a drunk tank. Balmain originally had a shipyard in it and due to a large demand had and still has quite a lot of pubs. The locals would often become very rowdy and the Watch house was the over night solution. It's quite cold inside, there are a couple of old fireplaces for the police, hopefully the prisoners got blankets. This hall has two cells on either side and in the court yard are another two.

The entrance.
This is the room Aurah displayed her work.
One of the outside cells.
The far door leads to what is now a small backyard with a garden a tiny lawn. Saxon and I hung out there a fair bit as he really enjoyed being outside.
Some of the flowers in the yard I had never seen before.
A bird of paradise.
The walls are all solid convict stone. It made for a really great exhibit space, particularly as the backyard made a great spot for the bar.
On Thursday the weather was fantastic so Saxon and I spent a lot of time outside. This included his naps.
I bought a sewing machine and I've been teaching myself to use it. I'm up to two shirts now. This is one.
Tom and I have decided to try our hand (mostly his) at a little auction scouring. We went to one on Saturday to checkout what was there. There was some neat stuff, we'll know on Monday if we won anything. On the way out I saw this great car.
No comments:
Post a Comment