I made it to Sydney safely. So far I don't have much in the way of pictures, it's been really rainy ever since I arrived. Today is the first to start with sun so I've got my fingers crossed that it will stay that way.
I've noticed, particularly yesterday that somehow the houses here are actually colder inside than the outside. Yesterday Tom and I went to put a deposit on an apartment and explore the the area that it's in. Before we left I was freezing inside, however it was only after I'd put on 4 or 5 layers and stepped outside that I found out the wind was warm and the sun was sort of shining. My coat didn't last long after the huge hill we had to climb to get to the main street. The suburb I'll be living in is Drummoyne, it's really lovely. Right beside my building is a butcher, fruit and veggie store, grocery store, sushi restaurant and across the street a post office. The stores are all located in a hidden court yard, I'll definitely be getting some pictures of that.
After Drummoyne we headed to Newtown. The intention was to find my bank, however after quite a bit of walking and no luck we ended up just enjoying the walk and checking out various stores and grabbing a coffee. On the way back we hopped on a bus and did end up finding the bank when we passed it, so today we'll start with that and skip the walking in the wrong direction.
Since I've been back I've been determined to not forget how to cook a steak (my latest lesson from Chuck) so the day after I arrived Tom and I went in search of one. Chuck, they don't have any cuts called spatula but they are pretty darn close. The only one I recognize is t-bone steak, other than that there's, rump, porterhouse, fillet, and scotch fillet. I went with the scotch fillet in the end it looked the closest to what I wanted. They turned out fairly well, I had to get used to the stove and kitchen in general. But since then I've made a stew, risotto, bocconcini and mini steaks. So I'm getting pretty comfortable with everything.
Today is more exploring and banking for real. I'm going to get a phone and possibly a usb internet stick so I can blog pictures a little easier.
No comments:
Post a Comment