Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Farm

Back to Newfoundland for another post. Tom and I went to visit an organic farm I hadn't been to since grade 5. I've grown a bit since then. We meet a hissing duck that I carefully kept my distance from.

And Bucket the dog, who lead us through all the fields and paths.

The fields were quite small since as an organic farm they wouldn't be able to sustain larger ones. The natural hills also seemed to lend themselves better to smaller growing areas. This is their amazing view.

The wee sprouts getting ready for planting. There was a huge variety, most of which I didn't recognize. Guess I should probably eat more veggies. 

Since I'm taking so long to finish this trip I decided to mash the farm with houses. Ever since my first trip as a kid I have always loved the buildings in Newfoundland. Colourful houses mean even on a foggy day you have something cheerful to look at. Which was great since we had fog almost everyday.


Tom seemed to be pretty taken with them too and spent a good deal of our car rides craning around to get the best shots.

My favourite colour combination of the visit and a major landmark that helped me find my way home. I learned that house descriptions are how most people get around instead of using street names. I love it! Since I'm terrible at remembering names when I'm giving directions.

Don't have a wood house to paint? 
No worries just make your door hot pink. 

One of the three downtown shopping streets. Despite the sun I was still chilly and had three layers on while most locals had one or two. Going from 30˚C to 12˚C is harder than I remembered. 

In the 4 or 5 years since my last visit there has been a lot of development. On one hand it's nice that the new houses have to keep the same general feel of the traditional ones, particularly in the city. On the other hand, they haven't quite got that feeling perfected yet.
                                      

I still prefer these beauties. 


No comments: