On Friday I went to my first auction to bid on some stuff. I was pretty nervous at first, it helped that I knew the auctioneer (one of Tom's friends). But I got into the swing of things pretty quickly and my heart stopped jumping into my throat every time I went to put my hand up. I even started trying out just a little head nod instead. It was really fun and I got a few good things.
This is the city as I walked to the auction.
On Saturday Tom and I went to an auction viewing, we've gone to this one fairly regularly and every time we pass this house. This time the lighting was so good I couldn't pass up a photo.
This week the auction had set up a funny scene with some of the items. They had a lot of costumes so they may have gotten something from a theater or movie set.
When we left the auction we walked through Leichardt and I found this house. The hedges have been cut as the father and mother greeting each other with the child behind (on the left), on the right are two chickens. They even added faces, bits of clothing (a tie on dad) and beaks (on the chickens), I believe in wood.
A bite to eat in a cafe and we were off to the city. The Sydney Biennale set up a free ferry service to Cockatoo Island for visitors to see the exhibits there. This was the last weekend and it turns out we weren't the only ones to leave the trip to the last minute.
As we waited a couple of people from water taxi services walked up and down advertising that they could get to the island faster and that the ferry wouldn't be back for another 30min. It had filled up pretty quick.
Luckily for Tom and I enough people went on the taxis that we moved up fairly quickly and there were two ferries running so we were right at the front of the line for the second one.
Cockatoo Island!
One thing that was neat was a camping ground, where you can rent tents and gear and stay on the island overnight. With the great water views I found this pretty tempting. As it's a year round thing I might be looking into later.
We started out on the other side of the island. To get there we went through the Dog Leg tunnel, called that because of the bend in it in the middle.
The island used to be an industrial area so there is all sorts of machinery around. It made for some very neat exhibit spaces.
This installation was next to a stage and the island bar. What my camera couldn't capture was the green glow it gave the room.
This one was in a building at the top of a very steep hill.
I really loved this work. It was the Indian gods in modern form. They were all carved out of wood with incredible detail. This one I believe is Kali.
A bouncing castle.
I've seen this work before in art classes, it was great to see in person. Really really huge. I imagine it would be hard to find many exhibit spaces that could fit it.
A roof-scape. I think that visitors were allowed to walk everywhere on it but by the end of the Biennale it had become a little unsafe for that.
Both Tom and I really enjoyed this work, there were three different animals.
A plywood satellite. You could climb up at one end and look down, or stand at the bottom and look up. A good way to find yourself staring straight at a complete stranger.
More great machinery.
I should mention that there were no cockatoos anywhere on the island.
No comments:
Post a Comment