Saturday, May 23, 2009

Book arts and letterpress

Well the last three weeks have been incredibly busy, more then I could have possibly prepared for. I am currently in two courses that are condensed into 3.5 weeks. So they end this Tuesday. Both run from Monday to Thursday, I have book arts in the mornings, an hour lunch then rare type in the afternoon. Each day we make a least one new book in book arts. I took a picture of the first projects but I haven't keep it up so I'll have to take some of all of them at the end. In rare type we are using wooden type and printing it on a letterpress. It's really fun and I'm still amazed at the self cleaning press. If only we could have that in litho. :)

This is the first homework project. We had to make one for everyone in the class, so 13.

This is the first in class book that we made. It more of a pamphlet.
We are now making hard covered books. It's pretty neat how professional they look at the end of it all.

This weekend I am putting together my final projects, which have been combined to some degree. I am making a fact book about octopus, I have printed the text on the letter press and will be and am just starting to prepare the pages to sew together. So far it looks pretty good.

We will also be having an art show for the type class, it will be opening in about two weeks. I'm the coordinator which should be interesting. As we are still pretty far away I haven't had to do too much.

Tonight Tom and I are going to a BBQ, first of the season for us. I'm pretty excited. :)

No comments: